Bandon Dunes is a resort, owned by Kemper Sports, located four hours by car from Portland Airport and 35 minutes from small Bend Airport.
It has four 18-hole courses, one 13-hole par 3 and an immense putting green called Punchbowl as a tribute to one of the classic green designs by Charles Blair Macdonald and Seth Raynor.
All golf courses are very different from each other because they were created by different designers and with different concepts.
It is a special experience: “golf only”, in the middle of nowhere, with very high standard accommodation and very good gastronomic alternatives.
Different courses… Unique experiences
Bandon Dunes Golf Course
- It was created by McLay Kidd and has the “look & feel” of northern Scotland (Royal Dornoch, Royal Aberdeen, Cruden Bay)
- It has several holes bordering the sea and very pronounced elevation changes with greens with a lot of movement.
- It has several memorable holes, including par 4 of 4 with a commemorative plaque that identifies it as one of the best 1000 holes in the world and the short par 4 of the 16, where long hitters can reach the green with the tee shot.
- It is a tribute to the best of Irland by Tom Doak.
- Located 500 meters from Bandon, it seems to have a different geography: many more dunes, a stronger green and a classic bunker style of the Emerald Isle.
- It was the second to be born and, for many, it is the best course of the four, with four par 3 in the second 9 holes of different orientation and length
- A few meters from Pacific Dunes, it seems to be located in another country. Firmer and faster fairways, from a grayer green tending to yellow and emulating the golf of the east of Scotland (St. Andrews, Carnoustie, Muirfield) with replicas and similarities of the North Berwick Redan, the Spectacles de Carnoustie, the green of the 14 from the Old Course, the Eden Hole also from the Old Course, and much more.
- It is a kind of tribute to golf: it is the course that most attracts the attention of those most interested in golf architecture.
Bandon Trails Golf Course
- It is a different golf course, with several holes in the forest, water hazards and a great tribute to the golden age of design.
- Par 3 out of 5 stands out with its green Biarritz and it is a good mix of holes in the dunes with forest.
- Core and Crenshaw created a course that differs from the other three courses, perhaps in line with the England inland’s. It may be the least awarded, but it is still extraordinary at the level of the other three.
Bandon Preserve Golf Course
- It has 13 par 3 holes between 90 and 170yds, but with wind it may be necessary to use almost all the clubs in the bag. A marvel.
- It is the ideal complement for a round in the afternoon after the break or played in the morning as a warm-up for a lap on the main fields.
Renovated by Coore & Crenshaw and co-founded by Phil Friedmann and Mike Keiser, the Sheep Ranch was for many years a mysterious golf landscape just north of Bandon Dunes Golf Resort. Now with one mile of ocean frontage, nine green sites right along the edge of the continent, and stunning Pacific Ocean views on every hole, Sheep Ranch continues the legacy of “Golf As It Was Meant to Be” on the Pacific Coast.
It offers the best value for staying at Bandon Dunes. Lily Pond's spacious rooms include two queen beds, sitting area, fireplace, bathroom, and private terrace with views of Lily Pond and the surrounding forest
- This exclusive lodge has a combination of 21 single rooms and 18 double rooms with views of the golf course or the coastal forest. The Inn is an equidistant distance from The Lodge and Bandon Trails / Bandon Preserve. It has a reading room and a bar area overlooking Bandon Dunes green 18. Rooms at The Inn are available with either single king or double queen beds.
It is the epicenter of activity in the complex and includes 17 single rooms, each with a queen bed. It also contains three four-bedroom suites. Rooms have views of the Bandon Dunes countryside and coastline, while others have views of the surrounding dunes and forests.
- Four-bedroom cabins are specifically designed to accommodate groups of four or eight people. Grove Cottages includes four bedrooms, each with a king bed, private bath, and living room. Grove Cottages is the largest lodging option on Bandon Dunes.
On the shores of Chrome Lake and just a few hundred meters northeast of The Lodge, 21 secluded buildings welcome guests with two rooms on the ground floor and a two-room loft on the top floor.
Other things to do
Although golf is the main activity in Bandon Dunes, there are other recreational programs: you can do wind surf & kite surf; deep-sea fishing with guides; walks through the beautiful gardens with a wide variety of plants and flowers, and discover bird sanctuaries with thousands of shorebirds.
When to travel
The best high season to play here is from May to September. The other months of the year it is colder and darkens very early.
How to get there
The ideal is to fly to Bend, although it usually requires several combinations of flights. You can also fly to Portland, and from there drive 4 hours to the destination.
Another option - which we recommend - is to fly to Seattle, play two rounds in Chambers Bay (home of the 2015 U.S. Open won by Jordan Spieth) and from there continue on to Bandon Dunes.