From championship courses to pitch and putt, Portugal is a great golf destination with over 70 different courses. Choose the Algarve, Lisbon or Cascais area and find very good courses by renowned designers combined with good weather and exquisite cuisine that makes this destination one of the best alternatives in Europe.
Portugal is a European classic that combines must see touristic attractions, beautiful beaches and
a great variety of golf courses, from links to dense pine forests between dunes.It is definitely a very good option, especially for its excellent climate all year round.
Choose from modern links, parklands, courses that overlook the sea flanked by cliffs and dunes with white sand. And other courses surrounded by lakes and mountains.
- This new outstanding signature course by Jack Nicklaus, is laid out in the rolling hills 1 hour from the Algarve marina.
- In a mountainous terrain, Jack has created a challenging course with steep slopes, some blind shots and many spectacular holes like the 9 and the great par 5 of the 18th.
- 5 Star attentive services, valet parking, and a Buggy rentals. In 2019 Monte Rei begun the construction on its South Course, another 18-hole Jack Nicklaus Signature Course.
- A world class 18-hole seaside links golf course alongside the silver coast, designed by Cinthia Dye daughter of Golf Course Architect Roy Anderson Dye and niece to Pete Dye. Sea views, rolling sand dunes and coastal vegetation. This golf course requires mastering the constant wind gusts and precision.
- One of the most awarded golf courses in Portugal and considered among the best courses created in the past 10 years.
- An Arthur Hills creation, with magnificent views of the Sintra Mountains, the Atlantic Ocean and Cabo da Roca. Created in a land that mixes forests, dunes and sea is one of the best courses in the peninsula.
- Mentioned by some as the N°1 Golf Course in Portugal and a pretender to be Top 100 of the World.
- Be challenged by the sea winds, a fine layout and be marvelled by the spectacular scenery. A must play!
Other recommended golf courses
Amendoeira Faldo, Vilamoura Old, San Lorenzo, Quinta do Lago North & South.
Other things to do
For such a small country, Portugal packs a lot! Home to palaces, cathedrals, beaches and history, Portugal is great destination. Combine your golf trip with: the beach, deep-sea fishing, and do not miss Lisbon and Cascais.
Thinking about playing more golf: Seville, Cádiz, Marbella and Sotogrande in Spain are just a couple hours away by car.
Where to stay
Choose one of the many 5 star resorts that offer private beaches, spa and amenities and even golf courses. Or, choose home rentals as your lodging option.
Time to book
Portugal is a popular destination for Europeans in July and August. We suggest booking at least 9 months in advance if booking on those months, otherwise outside those dates 5 months should be enough.
When to travel
In Portugal, golf is played all year round. If you are planning to travel in the summer, we suggest doing it from the second fortnight of May till September. Avoid the months of July and August, since these are the holiday months for Europeans, always keeping an eye on maintenance schedules.
How to get there
Travel to Madeira by plane or by ferry from Lisbon. Algarve can be reached by car from Lisbon, or catch a direct flight from many of the major European cities. Estoril and Cascais are very close to Lisbon.